A labiaplasty is a surgical procedure that aims to alter the labia minora (inner lips) and majora (outer lips), which are the folds of skin that encircle the vulva. The procedure falls under the category of vaginal rejuvenation. Surgery is mainly sought by people born intersex and those who experience physical discomfort or wish to change the shape of their genitals because they feel insecure about their appearance. The overall look of the vagina can vary significantly from person to person and may change as a result of events like childbirth and ageing. Studies have identified media exposure and relationship status as essential factors that influence women’s decisions to undergo labiaplasty. But whatever your reason for pursuing surgery, please make sure that they are yours alone and not society’s or a loved one’s. Studies have demonstrated that labiaplasties can have a positive effect on a woman’s overall genital appearance satisfaction. You’ll also be glad to know that labiaplasties also have a positive impact on sexual functioning.
Founded by a double-board certified plastic surgeon and conveniently situated on Harley St., Dr Aiofe Turner’s practice offers expert aesthetic rejuvenation and beautification. She combines both non-surgical and surgical procedures to create bespoke treatment plans for your aesthetic goals. Dr Turner and her staff’s meticulous attention to detail ensures they are committed to achieving natural-looking results that blend well with your proportions.
We look forward to unveiling your new self to the world.
- 1 Labiaplasty Techniques
- 2 Reasons for Labiaplasty
- 3 Benefits of Labiaplasty
- 4 Candidates for Labiaplasty
- 5 Personal Consultation
- 6 Preparation
- 7 Procedure
- 8 Recovery
- 9 Results
- 10 Complementary Procedures
- 11 FAQ
- 12 References
The trim technique is the prevailing method of labiaplasty amongst surgeons. During this procedure, the excess part of the labia minora is removed and sutured to create more symmetry with the labia majora.
During this procedure, a partial wedge is removed from the labia minora. This technique keeps the wrinkled edges of the labia, creating a more natural look.
The safety of labiaplasties is most dependent on the skill and technique of the surgeon. The best way to ensure you get the best results is to make sure you consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon that specialises in labiaplasties, like Dr Turner.
Reasons for Labiaplasty
Women may pursue labiaplasty if they:
- Feel insecure about the size or unevenness of their labia and want it to look aesthetically pleasing.
- Get constant irritation from wearing tight clothes or experience discomfort during sex, sports, or other physical activities.
- Have discolouration on the edges of their labia minora.
- Have difficulty with urinary tract infections.
With the increasing trend of wearing yoga pants, workout pants, and swimsuits, a larger-than-average labium can make it challenging to wear such clothes. Most patients describe feeling too self-conscious when becoming intimately involved with partners. These reasons and others are what women consider when opting for a labiaplasty.
Benefits of Labiaplasty
- Reduces pain and irritation
- Clothing feels more comfortable
- Physical activities become easier
- Better sex
- Increased confidence
- More proportional and symmetrical labia
Candidates for Labiaplasty
The right candidate for labiaplasty is a healthy woman and, ideally, a non-smoker who struggles with excess skin, deformities, or is dealing with the aftermath of vaginal trauma like childbirth.
Candidates will not be considered if they have certain pre-existing conditions or diseases that would prevent them from surgery like a UTI, STD, or pregnancy. Candidates will also not be considered if their only focus is on having the “perfect” vagina. Candidates need to have realistic goals and expectations going into their procedure.
During your consultation with Dr Turner, be prepared to discuss the ways in which you find your labia problematic. Explain any pains or irritations you may have been experiencing due to excess skin. Be sure to talk about your goals and expectations and find the time to ask questions or voice any concerns about potential risks.
Once Dr Turner has deemed you an appropriate candidate for surgery, you will be asked to follow specific instructions leading up to your procedure, which can include:
- Scheduling a week off from school or work to recover after surgery
- Resting up, staying hydrated, and eating healthy
There are two types of labiaplasty techniques: One is called a trim, where Dr Turner removes excess skin around the outer edge of the labia, and the other approach is referred to as the wedge. For that method, Dr Turner cuts a V-shaped wedge at the widest point, and then the edges are stitched back together. The whole procedure takes about one to two hours, and a patient can go home the same day, regardless of the type of anaesthetic used.
You will be given post-operative care instructions like:
- Keeping your treated area clean and free from infection
- Wear relaxed-fitting clothing and underwear to prevent chafing
- Avoid strenuous physical activity for six to twelve weeks
- Use sanitary towels instead of tampons for your first menstrual cycle or two after surgery
Depending on your level of treatment, Dr Turner may give you more specific advice to follow.
Most patients can return to their regular routine within one to two weeks after their procedure, but it is essential not to have sexual intercourse for at least six weeks.
Once the swelling is reduced and scars begin to fade, you should start to see results.
Studies have proven that women’s satisfaction with their surgical results translates into improvements in their sexual pleasure and psychological well-being compared to recalled levels prior to their surgery.
A mommy makeover is a combination treatment of lipo, breast augmentation, and tummy tuck that will restore a woman’s body back to its pre-pregnancy glory.
A facelift is a surgical procedure that restores shape and firmness to your face by reducing excess skin and readjusting facial volume to create a smoother, tighter, more youthful, and natural-looking complexion.
Surprisingly enough, your hands tend to reveal your age quicker than your face. Sun damage, gravity, liver spots, and other unsightly factors can create an aged and frail appearance in your hands. Hand rejuvenation treats all that, helping you regain your confidence.
Fight the effects of ageing with Botox! It’s the revolutionary neuromodulator that relaxes the facial muscles, reducing the appearance of wrinkles and creating a more youthful look.
If you’ve enjoyed learning about labiaplasties, we recommend checking out our reviews page, where you can read real testimonials from real clients to get a better sense of how we do things at Dr Aoife Turner’s Surgical Practice.
We look forward to seeing you soon and unveiling your new self to the world.
A labiaplasty is a surgical procedure that aims to alter the labia minora and majora of the vagina.
Labiaplasty surgery typically takes between one and two hours, with patients usually leaving the same day.
Labiaplasty is not a notably painful procedure, and patients are usually up and about straight away. Patients may expect some swelling, bruising, and soreness after their procedure. Most of the swelling usually fades in the first few days or early weeks.
There may be some initial numbing around the area where the incisions are made, but this will fade over time.
It’s normal after your procedure to have soreness, bruising, and swelling for up to two weeks.
During this time, urinating and sitting may also be uncomfortable. You’ll be prescribed painkillers to help with the discomfort.
Most potential complications would involve a separation of the suture line, excessive bleeding, and infection. Should you experience any of these symptoms, please contact Dr Turner or your primary care doctor immediately.
When performed by a qualified plastic surgeon like Dr Turner, labiaplasty does not leave any visible scarring. The natural creases of the skin should conceal any resulting scars from the incision.
It is recommended that patients wait six weeks before engaging in any strenuous physical activity after their labiaplasty.
Prices starting from £5000
- Gemma Sharp, MSc, Marika Tiggemann, PhD, Julie Mattiske, PhD, Factors That Influence the Decision to Undergo Labiaplasty: Media, Relationships, and Psychological Well-Being, Aesthetic Surgery Journal, Volume 36, Issue 4, April 2016, Pages 469–478, https://doi.org/10.1093/asj/sjv270
- Sharp, G., Tiggmann, M., & Mattiske, J. (2016). Psychological Outcomes of Labiaplasty: A Prospective Study. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, 138(6), 1202-1209. doi:https://doi.org/10.1097/PRS.0000000000002751
- Turini, T., Weck, R., & Cláudia, A. (2018). The Impact of Labiaplasty on Sexuality. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, 141(1), 87-92. doi:https://doi.org/10.1097/PRS.0000000000003921
- Gary J. Alter, MD, Commentary on: The Safe Labiaplasty: A Study of Nerve Density in Labia Minora and Its Implications, Aesthetic Surgery Journal, Volume 36, Issue 6, June 2016, Pages 710–711, https://doi.org/10.1093/asj/sjw035
- Michael P. Goodman, MD, Commentary on: A Retrospective Study of the Psychological Outcomes of Labiaplasty, Aesthetic Surgery Journal, Volume 37, Issue 3, 1 March 2017, Pages 332–336, https://doi.org/10.1093/asj/sjw245